Sunday, December 14, 2008

Priorities: An Advent Reflection

I came across a quote I had laying around the other day and it got me thinking.



"Nothing that does not occur on a daily basis will ever dominate your life."



Now, I'm pretty sure that it was originally meant to encourage those who may be struggling. With addiction, bad circumstances, whatever. Meaning that if it doesn't occur on a daily basis, not to worry, it will never overwhelm or overpower or swallow you up. But it reminded me of my daily walk with Christ. Does it dominate my life? Does it occur on a daily basis? My husband, my children, the housework, cooking, cleaning; they all occur on a daily basis in some way. They all dominate some area of my life. Where does Christ fit in? Does He?



We were discussing priorities in Sunday School a while ago and it has always been hard for me to find a "quite time" since my children have been born. It seems like it just never happens and I end up just sending up little prayers throughout the day for guidance, strength, etc. Just trying to keep the house in order is a full time job, how do we, as mothers, find a quite time? I've tried getting up a half an hour earlier and somehow my children instinctually know I am up and will then get out of bed and find me or begin crying for me. It just won't happen without me making it a priority. Should it be more important than my children? Who God Himself has given to me to care for? I continually try to balance these different demands in my life, and a lot of times I feel like I'm on a very small beam about to topple off.

I hope you are also getting in the season of Advent and longing for His expectant coming.

No comments: