Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Cards: An Advent Meditation

I enjoy sending out Christmas cards every year. Some people don't like it and would rather just send an email greeting, but I think there is something a little romantic and old fashioned about the written word. And I'm one of those that does a little letter with pictures and all that. I will probably start on that next week and try to mail them around the 15th.



I went to the big store today (you know the one): Save money. Live better. At least that's how I remember their motto. Although if you think about it if you really wanted to save money you wouldn't spend any of it in the first place, but that's another post.



Anyway, I was doing my bi-monthly grocery shopping and the Christmas card aisle caught me eye (oh, look at that typo, I'm just tired enough that I went into my pirate dialect). So I thought to myself "I need some Christmas cards." Knowing that most people throw them away after the holidays, I usually try to by some inexpensive, but nice-looking ones. And I buy TWO DIFFERENT TYPES. Yes, I said it. In every prior year I have bought two different Christmas cards. One with a Christian message for my family and friends. I usually try to do a wise man card. I love the wise men, I don't know why, but they have always intrigued me. But this year I found a nice elegant card that reads Messiah on the front. It's silver lettering on black. And they were only $5 for 18.



And then I began shopping for my second set of cards. The ones with the generic "Holiday Greetings" on the inside. The ones that will not offend anyone. These I send to my friends and/or acquantances who I know, or suspect, are not christians. And there, in the Hall Fart card aisle, while my littlest was chewing on some cards with a dog in a stocking hat, I got hit in the head with A VERSE.



Mark 8:38 NIV

"If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."



Now, of course I wasn't literally hit on the head, but the phrase "He will be ashamed of me" struck me and I knew I should send out only one type of card this year. So I only bought the Christian message cards and will be sending those out this year. Who better to send The Message too, then those who don't Know.



Anyway, I hope you don't think less of me for this little revelation. I have set it right. I hope you are also getting in the season of Advent and longing for His expectant coming.

2 comments:

Jolyn said...

How right you are. But I admit I am one of those who has made the change to email -- I do the same letter and attach a photo or two, but it saves so much money...
I'd rather get a letter with juicy information than a card with just a signature. Of course, a card with hard photos AND a letter is even better.
I do put a verse in there somewhere, usually at the end by our salutation. And no, I don't send out two emails;)

Joy said...

Happy Advent!!! Excited for the ways that He prepares us for His return even through Christmas cards! He is making Himself known!