Thursday, October 9, 2008

An Idea for Chores

A few months ago I started doing some research on different ways to reward and punish Landon for doing (or not) his chores. I found a neat looking chore chart in a magazine that I tried to order, but it was no longer available. I tried to find it elsewhere on line, but it was much more expensive and got a lot of bad reviews for being cheaply made.

So after doing some research, and thinking awhile, I came up with this idea. (some of the components of this chart come from Daisyeyes)

The chore chart seen here is priced at $19.99 and up. You basically reward your child for completing certain tasks during the day. I made my own for under $5. Basically, I bought a pack of magnetized hooks at Wal-Mart for around $3 and made cards out of card stock I already had at home.

Landon and I decided together (with much guidance from me) some of the chores that he needed to do during the day. I have 8 cards that I rotate in and out to kind of keep it from getting too repetitious. They are: I Stayed in My Bed Until 7 am; I Didn't Whine During My Rest Time; I Read for 15 Minutes (or let Mommy read to me); I Washed My Hands Before Meals; I Picked Up My Toys; I Brushed My Teeth; I Set the Table; I Put Away My Shoes and Hung Up My Backpack. Of course, some of these I don't give him a choice to do (Wash Hands, etc) but I usually don't fuss too much if he doesn't do one of the things; I just tell him he won't be able to flip that card. As he completes the tasks, he moves the card to the empty hook on the bottom left. At the end of the day he counts how many chores he completed and puts happy face stickers into the grid on the top. When he gets 25 happy face stickers, he gets to choose a prize from the "Chore Store" (name came from PW site). I outfit the chore store with small toys and candy that costs below $2; most for much less than that.
It seems to be working well, so far and I plan on adding different chores as he becomes older. If nothing else, it has taught him how to add numbers (he can even do 3 single digits at a time)! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I like it! I think I like yours better than mine! :)

Glad to be able to offer you some ideas. Our chart is kind of waning a bit, we are starting to rethink some other things to add to our treasure box in order to create some new excitement about doing chores. I'm thinking of trying to add some actual activities instead of just things (movie night, staying up late to watch something etc)

And one rule we've come up with is if he doesn't earn his good manners at dinner stamp and/or doesn't get any stamps that day, he doesn't go to the treasure box.

Jennifer said...

I like the activities idea!