Friday, September 5, 2008

Any Ideas?

Landon loves to help me cook. But I also love to cook. My Way. I am very anal in the kitchen. Whereas I will let them play in the mud till day is done, I don't want a mess in my kitchen. Unless I made it.

But I would like to have Landon start helping me prepare some easy meals. Has anyone had success with any kid friendly recipes that are edible and easy? He can make his own PB&J sandwiches.

3 comments:

Jolyn said...

My 5yo daughter likes to stir in the mac&cheese butter, milk and cheese powder. You could first put the macaroni into a different container, or she knows to hold onto the handle and not touch the hot pan, which cools rather quickly.
She also cuts up strawberries, etc. Yes, handling a semi-sharp knife. But she started out doing these things when possible with a butter knife.
Then there's cookies, of course. And brownie mixes. And helping layer and spread ingredients for a homemade dip...

Joy said...

We make a lot of waffles and pancakes together, we have had a few eggs to clean up but she does love the process! You could also make play-doh together...we might attempt that this week. Another fun thing to make together would be the large pretzels. I am pretty sure that I have seen a lot of recipes around for those. He could mix, roll, shape and cook! Lots of fun! ;)

Nashvillians Now said...

I am so glad everyone is feeling better in your house and you and your hubby enjoyed some couple time in a beautiful place!
As for cooking, one thing that always works for us that the kids love is pizza. You can give him a ball of dough to roll out, put sauce on with a spoon, and then toppings. My kids adore doing that.

One thing I have found for keeping the mess down is to have all the ingredients for whatever we are making be it cookies, muffins, etc already measured out and in individual bowls. Then the kids can take turn dumping in things and stirring. It doesn't give them a lot of practice with measuring but it does help a TON with the mess!

Whatever you end up doing in the kitchen, no matter how prepared you are, it always takes at least twice as long when the kids "help"! However, I am all for training our boys to be able to cook in the kitchen. Our future daughter-in-laws will thank us for it!