Thursday, July 3, 2008

Grillin' Recipes


Since this is the 4th weekend, I thought I would share a favorite grilled meal with you all. If you want a little something different than the usually burgers, try this grilled chicken and veggies. It's a great way to use fresh produce from your garden or farmer's market. I've really been trying to stay away from grocery store produce, if at all possible - I don't want to be visited by sam and ella.
I've been making this since we lived in Knoxville. I don't know where I got the recipe.
Chili Sauce Chicken
1 (12 oz.) bottle chili sauce
1/3 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. olive or vegetable oil
10-12 garlic cloves, minced
4 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 - 8 chicken thighs
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine everything except the chicken and mix well. Remove 1/3 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate. Add chicken to bag; seal and turn to coat. Chill for at least 2 hours. Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Grill, covered, skin side down over medium heat for 20 minutes. Baste with some of the reserved marinade. Turn and grill 10 mins longer or until juices run clear, basting frequently.
Special Grilled Veggies
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed (just hold the asparagus at either end and break)
1 lg. red onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 lg. sweet red pepper, cut into strips
1 lg. sweet yellow pepper, cut into strips
In a large resealable plastic beg, combine vinegar, oil, garlic, basil, thyme, and lemon pepper; mix well. Add vegetables and turn to coat. Seal and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight, turning once. Drain and reserve marinade. Place vegetables in grill basket or disposable foil pan with slits cut into bottom. Grill, over medium- high heat for 5 minutes. Turn; baste with reserved marinade. Grill 5-8 minutes longer or until the vegetable are tender.
Happy Eating!

No comments: