Tuesday, February 5, 2008

L's A REBEL

We had a really long day today. I had a MOPS meeting in Wichita this morning. It takes two hours and we have brunch, a speaker or craft, and then small group discussion. I love going, I alwas get blessed when I go. Today the speaker was a christian marrage and family counselor speaking on different personality types and how to discipline your children so that you get the best results.


As some of you may know, L is our challenging one. He was from the moment of conception. I bled through the first trimester, had pre-term labor in the second trimester, and was on bed rest for the last trimester. Then, when the doctor finally said if was ok for him to come out, he wouldn't and I had to have a c-section! He nursed for 2 1/2 years, wasn't potty trained until he was 3 1/2, and still doesn't always sleep through the night. Today some things that I had already known were validated - he is a REBEL. He always has to be right, he blames everyone else for his mistakes, and he loves to be connected to people. It sounds as though he is a nightmare, but after hearing the man speak on L's personality I learned that L really has lots of good qualities, I just need to learn how to direct those traits. I started some of the techniques I learned as soon as the meeting was over and some have actually worked. L's greatest fear is Shae and I's loss of love for him. I am excited to reconnect with L and his love for me. I marvel at why God allowed me to be his mother.


I went to the grocery store today. Most of you are going, so what? The nearest WalMart is 35-40 minutes from here. I go every other week. It is a huge, 2 hour ordeal. I am so glad it is done for the next 2 weeks.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Isn't it interesting how kiddos are all so different?! I have to admit that it is encouraging to hear that L waited until he was 3 1/2 to be potty trained...there is still hope!!! ;) I am excited for you and will be praying as you learn a new way to go about discipline. Don't you wish these kiddos came with instructions!

Nashvillians Now said...

I am glad you got some encouragement in your parenting! I know you are doing a fabulous job. It is crazy how two kids created by the same parents can be so totally different!
Hopefully, he will get all his rebellious stuff out now so that when the other starts in the teens, you will still have an easy child. They will just switch!