Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Baby Food Making Day

Isn't it funny how different you are with your first child then with your second? When Landon was a baby, everything had to be perfect. Trying to be the "perfect mother" I began making baby food for Landon with only fresh, organic produce. So, being the mother I am, I decided that it wouldn't be fair to do it with one child but not the other. Do you know how insanely difficult it is trying to find organic produce in the middle of Kansas in winter? You would think it would be easy, being in the "breadbasket" of the US and all. Knoxville had all those high end stores for us wanna-be yuppies who thought we needed organic foods and whole grain bread. Not so around here, but I managed to find some not-so-fresh organic foods at Target :(. The following are some pics of my baby food making:




I had a butternut squash that I was going to do today, so I cut it in half and microwaved it until it was cooked. You can see in the picture my ice cube trays; after I cook the squash and use the food processor to puree it, I put about a tablespoon in each cube and put them in the freezer. After they are frozen I pop them out of the trays and use my handy-dandy vacuum sealer (one of my newest favorite gadgits - but I digress, we will leave that for another post) to seal them in a bag. When it is time to eat, I take one cube out, microwave it until defrosted and then add breastmilk or water to get the desired consistancy.

I also tried my hand at making rice cereal, but I can't seem to grind the grains fine enough for my baby (7 months). All of the ideas I use are from the book "Super Baby Food". I especially like knowing exactly what my baby is eating, and it's so much cheaper than buying the food.


I have some pears ripening in a sack that I hope to get done in a few days, and I will count the days until late spring when my vegetable garden begins producing some home grown produce.


No comments: