Monday, December 9, 2013

Mom's Waffles

We have had plenty of cold weather the past week and I love making and serving comforting foods that remind me of home and growing up when weeks like this hit.  My mother makes the best waffles - not the waffles from the convenient box mix, either.  I mean made-from-scratch, down-and-dirty, homemade waffles!  They take a little time to make - and 3 bowls - I know, THREE bowls, so my mom saved these for the evening meal.  Supper, as we call it, and she served them with ring sausage, polish kielbasa, ring bologna - whatever your part of the country calls it.  I still get the same warm-fuzzy feeling of home when I start making and smelling these waffles.  Now, remember the 3 bowls part, I didn't say these would be easy, but I promise they are worth it.


 
Homemade Waffles
 
2 c. all-purpose flour
3 Tbls. sugar
1 Tbls. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4 c. milk
2 eggs
4 Tbls. butter, melted
 
In large bowl combine dry ingredients.  In small bowl, combine milk and egg yolks, reserving egg whites in another bowl.  Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients.  Add melted butter and stir well.  Beat egg whites until stiff.  Gentle fold egg whites into batter.  Batter will be slightly lumpy.  Make waffles using waffle maker.

Hope you enjoy these as much as my family.  Have a Merry Christmas!


No comments: