Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fried Zucchini


My garden has already produced 15 lbs potatoes, a good harvest of lettuce and a 5 gallon bucket of onions.  I have a very small area that I pack full of veggies.  I still have zucchini, cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes waiting to ripen.
I love zucchini and enjoy it many ways, but one of my favorites is frying.  Here’s how:

You will need a zucchini.  The smaller ones are more tender and don’t contain many seeds.  Milk. And seasoned flour.
IMG_2185


Heat some solid shortening in a skillet.  I like the kind with partial animal fat.  I know, I know – it’s not good for you, but it tastes great.  You can also use solid vegetable shortening or vegetable oil.  I use a cast iron skillet with a nice season, but you can use any skillet you have.
IMG_2186


Slice the zucchini nice and thin. 
IMG_2187.


Put some milk in a bowl and some seasoned flour in a bowl.  You can do salt and pepper, seasoned salt, or whatever.  First, put the zucchini slices in the milk.  And then dredge them in the flour.  You want a nice even coating, on the thin side.
IMG_2188


Place the slices in the hot oil  You want to leave them in there until the are golden brown on the bottom.  The tops will start to bubble.
IMG_2190


This is what they look like.  I like mine a little crispier, as oppossed to floppier.  You will need to experiment a little to get the desired doneness.  To long in the pan, they will burn.  To short in the pan, they will be soggy.
IMG_2191


These are almost finished.  It takes a while to fry up all the slices.  I just do enough for our meal, because the fried slices don’t keep.  I usually use a large cast iron skillet, but it was only my husband and I eating these.
IMG_2192
These are really good right out of the pan.  My kids like to dip them in Ranch dressing.  Enjoy!

No comments: