Thursday, June 7, 2012

Colorado Vacation 2012 (Part 2)


GARDEN OF THE GODS
IMG_1950
Sunday we drove down the mountain and visited Garden of the Gods.  The kids absolutely love this place and so do we.  It is FREE and you can spend all day hiking on well maintained trails.  Some want a leisurely stroll and use the paved paths, others rent equipment and repel down the rocks.  This family is just slightly more difficult than the paved paths.  Collin and Landon love to collect rocks as we walk so they were outfitted with a fanny pack.  
IMG_1930IMG_1931IMG_1932IMG_1933IMG_1934IMG_1935IMG_1937
I love the twisted trees and contrast of colors throughout the park.  My camera doesn’t do the look justice.  We were also experiencing very high winds during our trip, so the air was a little hazy.
IMG_1936IMG_1940

My husband had the back pack with some snacks and drinks – and of course the camera.

IMG_1938
More hiking.

IMG_1939IMG_1941IMG_1942IMG_1943IMG_1944

At the Visitors Center you can learn about the native animals and of course get your share of souvenirs.

IMG_1945IMG_1946IMG_1947


We hiked up to the Siamese Twins and took pictures.

IMG_1950IMG_1948IMG_1951IMG_1949IMG_1952
Kathryn did a great job and only occasionally needed help from Shae or I.
IMG_1954

DINOSAUR RESEARCH CENTER
IMG_1955
We visited the Dinosaur Research Center in nearby Woodland Park, CO.  We actually stopped for Collin because dinos are his fav, but I think Landon really enjoyed it more.
 IMG_1956IMG_1957IMG_1960IMG_1966IMG_1967IMG_1975IMG_1976IMG_1980
Of course we had to play in the gift shop!!
IMG_1981IMG_1982
If you are interested in visiting that museum I want to let you know it is smaller than I expected.  The information is good, but of course I will have to explain some areas to your children if you lean on the side of creationist/intelligent design.

CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN ZOO
IMG_2004
There is always that one period of time or excursion when you are on vacation where you all get, well, CRANKY!  The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo was that time. 
It started when we arrived in the morning and I discovered that Kathryn had not put any underwear on.  Now I know your next question will be: “Why didn’t you put any on her that morning?”  Kathryn is very independent.  In the morning she will take her diaper off by herself, potty and get dressed with the clothes in her “play clothes drawer.” (The bottom drawer of her dresser.)  This morning as we were leaving the cabin I asked her if she had underwear on.  She said yes, so I assumed she did.  She was wearing a dress, so when we got out of the car I noticed she didn’t have any on.  Since she was going to be riding in a rented stroller Shae insisted she wear some.  So we bought a $19.99 onsie in the gift shop.  It didn’t even fit, so it’s now at the Full Circle Thrift Store.  That whole scenario set the tone for the trip to the zoo.
The giraffes were the highlight.  We got to feed them up close.  Each piece of Romaine lettuce was $1!

IMG_1991IMG_1983
If you notice in this picture, the lettuce is falling to the ground.  It is in front of the stroller.  Collin was trying to feed the giraffe, but wouldn’t let the giraffe take it. 
IMG_1986
He kept trying to drop it on his tongue.
IMG_1989IMG_1988
He finally succeeded!
IMG_1984
Kathryn enjoyed feeding them.
IMG_1985IMG_1987

IMG_1992
Then we were off to see other animals.
IMG_1990IMG_1994IMG_2000IMG_1996IMG_1997IMG_2005IMG_2006IMG_2007
And of course we couldn’t leave the zoo without taking pictures and making slightly inappropriate comments about the Naked Mole Rats.  Ahhhh, good times.
IMG_2008IMG_2009IMG_2010

CAR RIDE UP PIKES PEAK
IMG_2037
Thankfully Pikes Peak provided what our family loves most:  beautiful mountains, informative signs about science, wildlife and history, and, of course, BIGFOOT.
The kids relaxed as we began our way up the mountain.
IMG_2012IMG_2013
We had to stop at the bigfoot sign and look around.
IMG_2011
We only went up 1/2 way.  I suffered from some altitude issues the entire time we were there, and the kids always get kind of weird at the summit anyway.  We went to the mile 13 gift shop.
We found snow there.
IMG_2014
We also let the kids “pan for gold”.  They LOVED it.  Why is it that every time we go into a gift shop they want a bag of rocks?
IMG_2015IMG_2017IMG_2016IMG_2018
We hiked around the area some.
IMG_2020IMG_2021IMG_2022IMG_2024IMG_2026IMG_2027
Please, feel free to enjoy the view.
IMG_2031IMG_2032IMG_2025IMG_2033IMG_2036
Did I mention we love this stuff:  (We are huge nerds this way!)
IMG_2034
And we finally found Bigfoot!
IMG_2035
Next post:  Our day trip to Denver.

No comments: