Monday, August 11, 2008

Bierocks

I like to make bierocks a few times a year and keep them in the freezer for quick lunches. They are very economical and delicious. Forgot the bierocks you had in school. These have a mustard base and are very tasty with a peppery after-bite. Today I made 24, and eventhough I really don't enjoy making bierocks, I now have enough to make it through the end of the year.

Here's what you do:

Brown 2 pounds of ground beef (or turkey for all you health nuts) with one onion. Drain.

Then add 2 tsp. salt, 1-2 tsp. pepper, 2 T. mustard (or more, depending on your taste) and 1 small head of shredded cabbage. Shred your cabbage with your food processor, it saves you tons of time. Cook this mixture for 5 mins.

Some of the cabbage after processing. (Yes, I wear an ugly watch.)

Now, get you some of these rolls. Or make some roll dough yourself, whatever you would like. Let them thaw almost all the way. If they are a touch frozen, it makes them a little easier to handle.Roll them out like this with some flour. It was raining when I did this, so I had to use quite a bit. Roll it out about 6" in diameter. I used to measure them, but I've mellowed out in my old age and now I just guess.

Now put half of a slice of cheese on the roll. I like just the plain, plastic-wrapped American cheese, but if you want to get all uppity, use cheddar or whatever you want.

Drop about 1/3 c. of the beef/cabbage mixture on the roll.

Pinch the edges together really good and tight. Now you can make a round bun, which I always start out making, but then I get in a hurry and just pinch the edges shut. Kind of like a small calzone.

Bake the puppies at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Until they are golden. Serve some now and let the rest cool and put them in a bag in the freezer. To use frozen 'rocks, put in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes until heated through, or throw in the microwave for a minute or two.Clean up your kitchen. 24 of these bierocks took me 4 hours. But only because I have kids that need my attention, go figure. If your kids are in school, plan on 2 hours, start to finish.

Here's the recipe without the interruptions:

2 lbs. ground beef

1 small head cabbage

1 onion

2 tsp. salt

1-2 tsp. pepper

2 T. mustard

sliced cheese

Brown beef and onion until done. Drain. Add salt, pepper, mustard, and shredded cabbage and cook for 5 minutes. Use sweet roll dough recipe and make large buns. Roll out until about 5-6" in diameter. Put a slice of cheese and 1/3 c. of beef/cabbage mixture on top of flattened bun and pinch shut. Bake pinched side down about 15-20 mins at 375 degrees or until brown.

1 comment:

Are We There Yet?? said...

I have never heard of a bierock. Sounds pretty good...I may have to try it sometime.