Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Basement Remodel Update

Shae took last Friday off so he had a four day weekend. He and his dad wanted to do some work around the house and continue with some of the basement preparations. They decided to put up guttering around the area that we have water in the basement. You remember that we had a company come out about a month ago and waterproof some of the basement. They also put a sump pump in. We continued to have a little dampness in a couple of areas, so Shae and his dad thought guttering would take care of the problem (I had my doubts, but I always do, so I kept them to myself).

We have had some very heavy rains this weekend with all of the storms passing through. We had no tornadoes in our area, but some straight-line winds knocked down a couple of power lines about 8 miles out of town. We did not lose power, though. We prayed for protection every night and was blessed with that.

And in His infinite wisdom, the heavy rains showed us that our basement is a sieve. Shae went down in the basement on Friday night during the storms to look around and found trickling water through the walls on the west side. And standing water on the floor on the east side. We were very discouraged to see this. We would need much more waterproofing and much more work than we had anticipated.

Shae's dad came back on Monday to golf with Shae and looked at the basement while he was here. He could not tell where the water was coming in at. We then decided to look at our options more closely, and have decided to put an addition on the house. We are going to expand on the west side and put two additional rooms. I am very excited about this, I am so happy that we did not continue with the basement plans and then find out later that we had a major water problem. I am unhappy, however, that we spent $3000 + to waterproof part of the basement when we will not end up using that as living space.

I am very excited about this new project. Shae, my dad and his dad will be doing most of the work themselves to keep costs down. I look forward to keeping you posted.

This is the side of the house where the addition will be added. (Is that redundant?)

2 comments:

Are We There Yet?? said...

Sorry about the water issue, but the addition sounds great! I know you will enjoy having more room. Isn't it amazing how much space two small children can occupy??

Nashvillians Now said...

Be sure to keep looking into the water issue in the bsmt as you don't want any mold issues!
I can't wait to follow the progress of the addition! What a talented and handy husband and father-in-law you have!