Friday, April 18, 2008

Which Came First, The Chicken or the Egg

My Grandparents got their baby chicks today and brought them home to the farm. It is a little late to be getting chicks, but Grandma couldn't decide if she wanted to mess with them this year. She is 88 and my grandpa is 93 and she has been swearing to us that they will slow down soon. But every year it is the same. They did only receive about 50 chicks, compared to the 80 or so they usually receive. The chicks they got this year will only be for butchering. They will butcher them themselves and then freeze the chickens so we will have farm raised chickens all winter. I pity those of you who have never tasted a farm fresh fried chicken. That is the life, let me tell you. You really need to butcher the chicken and then fry it up within a couple of days. It is so tender and juicy. And the flavor!! Let me tell you. . . But I digress.

We took Landon out to the farm this evening to hold some. My grandparents live 8 miles from us, so it is nice to be able to visit the farm whenever we want. I did learn something tonight. I don't know how I grew up here and never knew that young female chickens are called "pullets". When female chickens get to be adults they are called "hens" and the males are always called "roosters". And the small eggs you get from young female chickens are called "pullet eggs". This makes sense to me, but I just found this out when we were visiting my grandparents this evening.

The older I get, the more I love the country. I wish we would have a little more land so we could have some chickens and a little bigger garden. With a clothes line. Wash dried in the sunshine smells so good and reminds me of my youth. But now I am getting all melancholy on ya, (not to mention waaaay off the subject) so I will just post these pictures of Landon and the chicks.

2 comments:

Joy said...

The chicks sound like so much fun right up until the butchering part!!! ;) I would have to let someone else do that as I would get way to attached! I bet that the taste is totally different though and incredible! How wonderful to have a farm so close!!!
I have wanted a clothes line for a very long time! Brad thinks that I am a little crazy for this but I think that it would be so wonderful!!!

Nashvillians Now said...

Is it hard to eat something that started out that cute and that your child has loved on? I know that I could not butcher and clean them! Would you butcher chickens yourself if you had them and clean them and pull feathers off?
I am sure the taste is a lot better than what we buy in the grocery store though!