We live in a 100 year old house. It was built in 1910. At the time it was a on a farm, but the bustling metropolis has overtaken it (oh how I jest, I live in a town of 700). But it no longer is in the country, but on the outskirts of town. I loved the house the minute I stepped foot in it, even though I knew it needed a lot of work. Here is a picture of the house shortly after we took possession of it, but were not yet living in it. If you look closely you can see the peeling paint on the upper story around the windows.

We began before my husband and I even moved in. While he was in Iraq, I stripped wallpaper in the living room and dining room. Replaced the carpet in the living room and family room, and refinished the dining room hard word floor by sanding, staining and sealing. (If you've ever spent 2 days behind an industrial floor sander, you know my pain. Well, you know my father's pain - he spent the 2 days behind the sander, I only supervised.)
Here's a picture of the dining room before any remodeling had been done:

Here is a picture of Landon and my mother stripping wall paper in the dining room:

Now, I bet you want to see the dining room all finished, don't you. I would include a picture here, but I would have to clean off the dining room table, so I will include a picture later.
We also had the home sided and we painted the eaves. We did virtually all of the work ourselves except the siding. Here's our home after the new siding (this was taken just a couple of days ago, but it's still looks new):
About a month ago, my mother and I took a Saturday and steamed off all the wall paper in my kitchen and main floor bathroom. If you ever need to strip wallpaper, I highly recommend using a steamer - it worked wonderfully. We were done in under a day. With my husband gone I want to get the walls patched, sanded and painted before he returns. My father will be coming over within the next couple of weeks to mud the walls. I will keep you updated on our progress. Here are some before pics. (Check out the ugly gold fixtures and '90's bathtub. Ugg.)
2 comments:
Wow! You guys are ambitious. I hate stripping wall paper!
We have the gold fixtures in our bathrooms too! The are lovely with the corrosion and gunk all over them.
When can I move in? I love your house and the fact that it is old! How fun and so much character!!!!
Post a Comment